Friday, February 11, 2011

Paw Paw Zot



Losing a grandparent at any age is a hard thing. I'm sad, I'm sad for my parent, and I'm really sad for the spouse left behind. To me grandparents aren't your parents, but growing up they are the best next thing to your parents. I spent a lot of time with my dad's parents as a child and for that I am grateful.

My Grandpa was a great man that loved his wife and family above all. Growing up I was very close to him and my Grandma. They were the ones that babysat us all the time, kept us if my parents went on vacation, and kept us home from school if we were sick. I have many memories of him, but one thing that he asked all the time was, "Did you brush your hair today? Why do y'all let her go out the house looking like that?" I think it is funny because I don't necessarily remember being an "unkempt" child, but I think I did go through a stage where I didn't feel like doing much with my hair! Paw Paw Zot loved us and loved my boys. I wish my boys could have known him longer, and I can only hope Jack remembers him.

Grandpa's funeral was very nice. My dad gave a great eulogy, and Chad and I both read scriptures. The best part of the funeral was at the burial. Three members of the Navy came to present the flag to my Grandmother on behalf of the United States of America as the bugler sounded Taps. There wasn't a dry eye out there as we watched my Grandfather being honored for his dedication to our country. Paw Paw Zot was a loving man, hard worker, and dedicated to our country. He lived a successful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment