Monday, April 25, 2011

Electronic Disaster

I am an electronics disaster. It has taken me over 30 years to realize what my dad and Christian have been telling me. I am an electronics disaster.

I can't remember when my first electronic disaster happened, but I am sure it happened well before I hit double digits in years. The freshest memory in my mind is last weekend. As mentioned in a previous post, we went to the Angola Prison Rodeo and had a fun time. After the rodeo and before snowballs and ice cream, I stopped in the restroom, and put my phone down. I never picked it up. We left a short 10 minutes later, and I realized my phone was gone. My conversation with my husband went a little something like this...

"No, I don't know where my phone is. No I don't think I should go back and look for it. I would have no idea where to look. I know, I can't believe I lost it. I don't know how I lose things except I am juggling 2 kids, a stroller, bags, and no pocket to put my phone in (never mind the 2 bags that I carry around). I know you are helping me. I just lose things. When you hang up the phone, you drop it in your pocket. When I hang up the phone, I have to stop to open a bag and put it in. (Hard right?)"

Thankfully I had an old phone that my brother gave me when I lost another phone (oops) a year ago. This phone is awful and I mean really awful, but I wasn't ready to pony up $100 to replace my precious lost one. Finally after a whole 24 hours with this awful thing my brother kindly gave me (which I am sure he laughed quite a while when he did), I gave in. New phone in hand and taken great care of. Until I lose it again which really is inevitable.



Which now leads me to story 2 that sealed the deal for me realizing I am an electronics disaster. I went to the gym this morning to run and work out. I have my faithful friend, the iPod Shuffle clipped on my shorts as I left the house. Before I left I charged my shuffle for an hour and clipped it on my shorts as I was walking out the door. I would have taken the time to stop, open my bag, put the shuffle in the case, but, frankly, that just takes too much time. So off I go with it clipped to my shorts. I have to use the restroom before I go, so I pull down my shorts (no more detail needed) and the shuffle goes flying. Where?



All I can think is Christian is going to say, "I am not surprised." That's not what I want to hear because I do not think I am an electronics disaster (yet). I decide I am going to just leave it and go tell an employee. As I continue to stare at it, I see



Crap. I can't just leave it there. I need to get it out and at least give it a half attempted effort to see if it works. I run to the cafe and grab a plastic shopping bag. Germ-phobic and all, I reach into this public toilet with the bag wrapped around my hand (this also reminds me of a time I reached into a Dillard's toilet to pull out my expensive sunglasses a couple of years ago), and grabbed the shuffle. I quickly went to the sink and rinsed it under very hot water. I don't care if it would have worked before hot water, germs are germs. I dry it off, and IT WORKS!!! I can run!

So people out there, please do not loan me any of your electronics. I now recognize that I am an electronics disaster. And evidently a sunglasses disaster too. (We won't discuss that all of these disasters are due to the fact that I am always rushing.) Loan them to my husband who has the market cornered as a competent electronic user.

2 comments: